As a Single Moms and dad, Do I Need Trust Planning?

If your children are minors and/or you wish to protect the possessions that go to your kids from creditors and separating spouses, you need trust planning. As a single parent, there is no back up if you become incapacitated or pass away. A strong, detailed, and up-to-date trust-based estate plan requires to be in location to protect your kids.

A trust-based plan keeps you in control and prevents court interference so it’s you that picks who cares for your kids when you can not, not the court. In conjunction with a trust, powers of attorney, first responder authorizations, stand-by guardian statements, and a will are used to ensure your child’s requirements are met.
You can protect the assets that flow to your children at your death by developing specific life-time trust shares in your own trust. At your death, assets flow into these trust shares per your instruction. The properties are used for your kid’s health, education, and upkeep. You select a trustee to administer the trust for the benefit of your child.

When the kids become adults, trust properties can not be taken by financial institutions or divorcing partners; the trust can also be drafted so trust properties can’t be utilized to sustain an addiction (drugs, alcohol, gaming, etc.), and will not disqualify unique needs beneficiaries from governmental assistance.
As your children become grownups, if you ‘d like, they can be caused as co-trustees with progressive levels of duty, finding out about managing and investing possessions, paying bills, and living within their ways.

It’s never advised that a beneficiary functions as the sole trustee of his/her private trust share because that is most likely to eliminate the financial institution protection created by having the trust in the first place. A Certified Public Accountant or business fiduciary (bank or trust business) makes an excellent trustee or co-trustee.
If you’re a single moms and dad, trust-planning is likely in your best interest which of your kids. Seek advice from with a competent estate planning attorney to get a strong, thorough, and updated trust-based estate plan in place.

Comments are closed.